Three Administrative staff of Dr. Hilla Limann Technical University have been directed by the Auditor Generals Department to refund an amount of Ghc23,774.05 to the state.
This was recorded in the Auditor’s Report gathered on Technical Universities.
Madam Issahaku Shamima was directed to refund unearned entertainment allowance of Ghc3,324.05 to the State.
Madam Issahaku Shamima was again directed to refund Ghc12,880.40 overpaid Responsibility Allowance. She was as well directed to refund fuel Allowance of Ghc2,875 to the consolidated fund.
Mr. Alhassan Ismail, A Senior Assistant Registrar has been instructed to refund fuel Allowance of Ghc918.80 to the state.
Mr. Mohammed Rafiue, an Accounting Assistant has also been tasked to refund Ghc3,775.80 to the State.
The Three Workers According to the Auditor’s Report have up to 30days to refund the monies.
Overpayment of Allowances – GH¢23,774.05
481. Section 7 of the Public Financial Management Act, 2016 (Act 921)
stipulates that, a Principal Spending Oficer shall ensure regularity and
proper use of money appropriated in that covered entity.
482. We noted that three (3) staff were paid salary-related allowances over
and above the applicable amount due them which led to an overpayment of
GHe23,774.05. The details are provided in Table 62.
483. The anomaly caused an increase in government’s wage bill and deprived the state of funds which could have been used for other activities.
484. We recommended that the staff should refund the total amount of
GH 23,774.05 to chest within 30 days after the receipt of the Management
Letter and provide evidence for audit inspection.
485. Management responded that the recommendation was noted for
compliance. Management also stated that they had written to the officers to
demand refund of the overpaid allowances.