There has been public debate as to whether one should opt for a 3-year top up Program in Education or other programs at SDD-UBIDS or to offer a 2-Year top up degree in other Universities within the Country.
The Simon Diedong Dombo University of Business and Integrated Development Studies offers 3-year top-up programs for diploma graduates who any Institution, this means if one offers two years diploma in any program and wants to pursue his or her degree afterwards, he or she should be ready to pursue the top up Program for another 3 years at SDD-UBIDS.
The University for Development Studies(UDS) has opened opportununities for admission into top-up programs for diploma graduates willing to pursue a 2-year top-up degree program in order to be awarded a degree in a program of study. The Mode of Study is either direct or via distance mode, the programs can be offered in their distance centers including McCoy in Nadowli, Jirapa, Sawla etc.
Some Programs and Requirements
If one is to offer a three year top-up compared to a two years top-up, it will be recommended to offer the two year program because, less time(2years) will be spent in other Institutions yet the same certificate (degree) will be awarded, cost of Renting will reduce, one will rent for 2-years instead of three, time wasting: spending one extra year entails a whole lot Including spending on feeding, transport etc, one could also use that one year for national service or Master’s Program, the extra one year will also attract more school fees.
It is by this, adviceable to offer two year top-up programs compared to three years. Note: Both two years and three are accredited and have same value, people who offer three years won’t take more salary or be placed in higher positions than you. Finally, you need to have a tertiary diploma certificate to be able to offer a post Diploma Program.
Schools that offer two years post Diploma
1. Akenten Appiah Menkah University of Skills Training and Entrepreneurial Development (AAMUSTED) – Kumasi
2. University for Development Studies (UDS)
3. University of Education, Winneba
4. Sunyani Technical University
5. Tamale Technical University
6. University of Mines and Technology
7. University of Ghana
8. Accra Technical University
9. Kumasi Technical University
10. University of Cape Coast Via Distance
Schools that Offer Three Years Post Diploma
1. Simon Diedong Dombo University of Business and Integrated Development Studies
2. CKT Tedam University of Technology and Applied Science
3. Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
Note: The University of Cape Coast Accepts Third Class, Pass for Masters Programs.
Source: Education Consult