The month of March will forever remain a memorable month in the annals of Wa All Stars after the club booked qualifications to the top tier of Ghana football on March 28, 2007.
Ten years down the lane the champions find itself at the summit of Ghana football.
Premier league winners for the past season and reigning Super Cup winners under their name , Wa All Stars cannot complain that much in terms of trophy haul. As the then sole campaigners from the northern zone of the country , Wa All Stars are noted for their nomadic nature in their quest to honour league game. In a brief historical run down of the club’s 278 game league journey, here are the top facts about Wa All Stars on the local scene.
1. Wa All Stars have faced 33 opponents in the league at their favourite Wa Park since hosting Real Tamale United on December 9, 2007. The Northern Blues have since welcomed 32 other opponents to add to their debut northern derby in the past 10 years.
2. Of the 139 games played on home turf , Wa All Stars have won 80 of their fixtures honoured at the Wa Park . An opening win against RTU was followed by a whopping 79 others , representing 75.48 percent of their total matches played. The most important of them however came on September 14, 2016 in a 1-2 win over Aduana Stars as they emerged champions of the elite club league in Ghana.
3. The Wa based side have scored 162 goals in Wa, representing 61.51 percent of their total goal tally. The reigning title holders have rained 162 goals including two trebles from Seidu Salifu and Emmanuel Ocran at the Wa park.
4. Wa All Stars have kept 90 clean sheets in their 139 games played on home turf. An impressive 65 percent of their games at Wa have ended with a clean sheet since 2007.
5. The invincible side suffered defeat in just 19 of the 139 games played in Wa. A record that can be broken further to including only 11 clubs leaving Wa will all three points.
6. On the road, Wa All Stars have managed an impressive 112 points from 139 games. The division’s most travelled side have so far won 26 of their away games since their first win on the road to Tema Youth in May 2008.
7. The 2016 GhPL champions have lost 79 games on the road , representing 57 percent of their game tally. An opening day defeat on the road to Kumasi Asante Kotoko handed Wa All Stars the reality of life in the top flight.
8. Wa All Stars have since found the back of the net on an impressive 103 times in 139 games away from home. The club have also managed an impressive 31 clean sheets in the ensuing period.
9. The Wa based side have recored a total of 106 wins , 74 drawn games, and 98 defeats since joining the top flight. An impressive 265 goals scored by the reigning champions have been counted with 236 goal shipped whiles their clean sheet rally stood at 121.
10. The Champions have amassed an impressive 392 points from the possible 834 representing 47 percent of the total.
Registered in the Upper West regional division two season in December 2005, Wa All Stars booked their ticket to the top tier in March 28, 2007 after a 3-0 demolition of Catholic Stars. Alex Aryee was the hero in Swedru with all three goals on the day.
10 years in Ghana Football
2 trophies to show for
278 games played
265 goals scored
Victory For All is the motto and sustainable development is the DNA.
Written by Saani Abacha