Residents including farmers within the Kojokperi zone of Daffiama-Bussie-Issa District have expressed dismay with the quality of work carried out on a proposed dam for the village.
According to them, the work done is below the standard expected, they added that the water in the dugout wouldn’t be able to serve their tasks in the dry season as animals alone can consume the quantity of water reserved.
Meanwhile the minister for Information, Mr. Kojo Oppong Nkrumah has given the proposed description of dam to be constructed suggesting the people never called for the Akosombo-Like type of Dams.
With reference to the model of the dams being constructed, it must be noted that the beneficiary communities in requesting for the dams did not request an Akosombo-like type of dam. The model and specification of dams requested for under this Programme are the exact type known to the people in the beneficiary communities. The development conforms with the same technical, security and financial benchmarks for dams of this nature;
• Each dam covers a land area of 2 hectares.
• The earth embankment wall has a maximum height of 5m.
• The depth of the small dam is also 5m.
• The length of the embankment wall ranges between 250m and 350m.
• The width of the embankment wall is 4m.
• At the central part of each dam is a dugout, which is the depression or the inner chamber of the dam. This depression has the size of 80 × 50m with a depth of max 2.5m tapering to zero at the shallow end.
• Each dam when completed is estimated to contain in excess of 30,000 cubic meters of water when full; enough to serve the purposes of the beneficiary community during the dry season.
It is also instructive to note that, A DUGOUT or EXCAVATED POND as the NDC would like to describe the 1V1D dams, does not have similar features as outlined above.
4. Additionally, the claim that financial loss has or will be caused has no basis. No contractor has or will be paid without delivering equivalent value. The 1V1D Program has a strong monitoring framework in place to ensure that the specifications are adhered to.
5. Unlike the opposition party’s administration of the past, whose claims of investing in northern Ghana through projects such as the guinea fowl project (which was non-existent at the end of their tenure), the 1V1D Programme will remain visible on the ground and will serve the people well once completed and handed over.
Ghanaians are once again urged to disregard the usual propaganda and casting of aspersions on national programs from the NDC, while it offers no credible alternatives to tackling the challenges of our people. The Implementers of the program are guided by the remarks of the President to ensure value for money.
The Akufo-Addo administration will remain focused on delivering on its flagship programs including Free SHS, 1D1F and Planting for Food and Jobs. The NDC is advised to propose alternative programs and desist from their usual propaganda aimed at running down government programs.
KOJO OPPONG NKRUMAH (MP)