Speaker directs Defence Cttee to probe Wa brutalities within 4 weeks

First Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Mr. Joe Osei Wusu

The First Deputy Speaker of Parliament who sat in for the Speaker on Friday July 2, Joseph Osei Wusu has directed the Defence and Interior Committee of Parliament to investigate the circumstances that caused the Military brutalities in Wa.

The Committee has one month to investigate, collect and collate the facts and report to the House for further action.

“As proposed by the Minority Leader  and seconded by the Majority leader  I direct the Committee on Defence and Interior  to proceed to Wa  to investigate , collect and collate the facts  and report to the House  within four weeks,” the Speaker said.

The Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu had appealed to the Speaker to send a delegation of members of the Defense and Interior Committee, to Wa to intervene in the Military brutalities in that part of the country.

Speaking on the floor of the House on Friday July 2, he said “I am urging you to request your committee on Defense and Interior  to act expeditiously  if it means visiting Wa to see for themselves.

“The development and the circumstances  leading to the impunity  must stop.

“I am seeking your leave as I raise this matter so that we can continue to co-exist. The continued conduct of the Military is undermining civil and public confidence in our Ghana Armed Forces who have a duty to protect us.. This is the conduct of a few of them, to be fair to them.”

A group of military men were captured on camera in Wa in the Upper West Regional brutalizing civilians on the streets.

It is not immediately clear what may have warranted such an action by the men in uniform but eyewitnesses say they were in search of a missing mobile phone belonging to one of them.

According to one eyewitness, one of the soldiers is believed to have boarded what is referred to as “Yellow Yellow” or “Mahama Cambo” and lost his phone.

The incident is said to have started at 1:00pm and lasted for close to an hour at the Wa main traffic Thursday afternoon.

Public Relations Officer of the Upper West Regional Coordinating Council, Cletus Awuni, who is said to have gone to find out from the military about their operations was also severely brutalized with his mobile phone also destroyed.

He was taken to the Wa Municipal Hospital but was later referred to the Upper West Regional Hospital.

Source: TV3 Ghana

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s